Looking for songs?
- musiqueradio (more indy)
- Le Top 100 (more mainstream)
- Frenchmusicblog (good source of francophone music you can buy in the US)
- Musique Mercredi (FB group with lots of songs, activities, etc.)
What to do with songs?
I have transitioned to a new, more efficient format:
- Monday: I tell my students the story of the artist and/or the song and/or the video clip. Always a story on Monday and then we watch the clip together! Sometimes I do a cultural activity on the video.
- The rest of the week: I give my students a cloze version of the lyrics (including English translation). Each day they listen to the song once and complete the cloze.
- Friday: We complete the cloze together, and if they are up for it, we sing our song of the week!
Artists in alphabetical order
(This list is not up-to-date, sorry)
- Amir “J’ai cherché” (2016): lyrics with cloze
- Angele “Tout oublier” (2018): lyrics with cloze
- Big Flo et Oli “Dommage” (2017) : lyrics with cloze
- Bilal Hassani “Roi” (2019): lyrics with cloze
- Black M “Je suis chez moi” (2016): lyrics with cloze
- DJ Kayz, Wassila, Scridge “Le jour J” (2018): lyrics with cloze
- Gregory Lemarchal “De temps en temps (2007): lyrics with cloze
- Indila “Tourner dans le vide” (2015): storyboard, story script, lyrics with cloze
- Khaled “Aicha” (1996): lyrics with cloze
- Kids United Mama Africa (2017): Angelique Kidjo; lyrics with cloze + cultural activity
- Louane “immobile” (2018): lyrics with cloze
- Louane “je vole” (2015): lyrics with cloze
- Maitre GIM’s “La même” (2018): character and unconscious bias analysis, lyrics with cloze
- Vincent Vallieres “On va s’aimer” (2011): lyrics with cloze
- Zaz “Sous le ciel de Paris” (2015): lyrics with cloze
(photo @ Suzanne Schols)
[…] for songs? Here is my song collections for Novice and for Intermediate […]
Love this idea! Would you share some of your intermediate song titles?
Peggy, I did in this post. Do you not see the list and links to video clip and activities?
You might like this version of Aicha. We love Cheb Khaled, but this is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it6Ud6PDPes
He is awesome!! Thank you, I am going to add this version to the list 🙂 I love covers. Once we listened to Francis Cabrel “Je l’aime a mourir” and on Wednesday I played the cover by Shakira, the kids went crazy!
I didn’t know Shakira covered it. We used Je l’aime a mourir last month!
[…] EDIT: Since I wrote this post back in 2013, I have simplified my routine so it is more efficient and relies less on looking up words in the dictionary. Here is the updated routine. […]