“Chanson de la semaine” (song of the week) is a daily warm-up I use in French 1, 2, and 3. The objective is to introduce my students to francophone songs (culture standard) while exposing them to authentic language (interpretive communication).
- Day 1: watch the video clip, log the song in your song log.
- Day 2: look for vocabulary in the dictionary. Don’t forget noun genders. (I have underlined key words I want them to look for, I split them into groups and then we all share).
- Day 3: Determine verb infinitives and tenses (I have bolded verbs I want them to look at, tenses we have been studying as well as new tenses they might not be familiar with). I love it when later on in the year they scream “we have seen this in xyz song!”
- Day 4: Follow along with the lyrics (some classes sing along and I hit a presentational standard!)
- Day 5: Listening comprehension + record interesting vocabulary in your song log
Depending on the song, sometimes I toss some cultural questions in the mix.
Daily activities last between 5 and 10 minutes depending on the day/song.
I want to thank Corinne Hayes from Southwest schools, who shared this idea with me a few years ago. I have since refined it and made it my own.
Looking for songs? Here is my French 1 collection. Come back and watch this list grow!